Thursday 15 May 2008

Day trip

One of the problems with traveling alone is not being able to make comments about sights that you get to see. Sure, you can exclaim, whinge, protest out loud but with nobody to provide feedback to your observations things start to become slightly one-dimensional. The trade off to this is having complete freedom, you're able to dictate each day and each decision. If you want to squeeze in that extra museum before sunset, do it. If you want to go back to the hostel and rest your feet, do it. Despite this freedom, the complete isolation of lodging and sightseeing alone is a test of one's mettle. After only 8 days of traveling solo I have devised a method for maintaining sanity. I have (without consciously enforcing it) made an effort to talk to at least 5 people a day, it's amazing what complete solitude will do to you. Conversation sure beats silence.


With that above rant being said today's activities consisted of a leisurely 1 hour ferry ride out from the port of Buenos Aires to the small Uruguayan town of Colonia del Sacramento. It was actually upon the advice of a British couple that I convinced me to explore this UNESCO World Heritage Sight. There are two type of vessels that provide access from Buenos Aires across the river to Colonia, a 3 hour ferry or the Rapid 50 minute ferry. I of course opted for the second option, 184 $A Pesos ($60-ish AUD) for a round trip ticket.


The best way to describe Colonia, would be picturesque. Definitely a haven for those who love photography or just like saying "Wow, look! Isn't that pretty!". Definitely felt like I had been transported back a couple hundred years and enjoyed a relaxing stroll through the old cobbled streets. I wouldn't say that you go to Colonia to see one particular tourist sight, it's more to appreciate the atmosphere or to get another stamp in your passport. However the main points of interests would be the shore and piers, the main city bridge and of course the lighthouse. It's definitely worth the day trip out and I spent just over 3 hours walking around Colonia. Most of the local outlets accept Argentine Pesos although I didn't really purchase anything from the smaller vendors.

Finally on a side note, I have just experienced my busiest subway encounter, ever! After disembarking from the ferry I walked to the nearest subway (Catedral) to head back to the hostel. Shock horror, the station was packed, people were queuing up on the staircase to get into the station, to get through the turnstiles and to get to the platform. Thankfully, the trains in this part of town are quite regular so I had to only wait for 3 trains (15 - 20 minutes) to pass before getting onto the train. Immediately after leaving the station the train pulled up to the next stop, which is when the carnage began. People were pushing their way onto the already full train, I have never felt so little control over my body. I was wedged in what would be best described as a manual attempt at conjoined bodies en mass.

Let me try to describe the situation. I was chest to chest with an old man, he was so close I could feel his breathing on my neck. Since I was in the middle of the carriage I had raised my arm to prop against the train ceiling, in the space that was had created there was a young girl with her nose buried in my left armpit (I felt sorry for her the most). To the right was a man with his back against my shoulder. Behind me another old lady pushed up against my backpack and I joke you not there was a dwarf pushed up against my right thigh. Honestly I expected the New York of Tokyo metro to be this crowded but Buenos Aires? I desperately wanted to take a photo of this, but I couldn't move any of my arms to even retrieve my camera...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Haha, I didn't see it coming. Of course there had to be a reference to dwarfism.