Friday 16 May 2008

Buenos Aires

In my opinion the city of Buenos Aires isn't a city with a lot of iconic sights. Now before I get slandered for this let me try and explain. Sure there’s historic monuments which the city holds dear but there’s nothing that screams out uniquely Argentina. My claim is (most) probably ignorance on my behalf but to the unsuspecting tourist, without doing too much research the architecture and city lay out has a distinct European feel and you could be forgiven for mistaking Buenos Aires for any other city within the EU.


Not to say that Argentina isn’t worth visiting, on the contrary I would recommend it to anybody thinking of a South American holiday. After being here for around 5 days I think that was probably enough time to do and see the things that I wanted. Majority of them being walking tours, with, I think, the main reason to experience the atmosphere that is Argentina. Be absorbed by the city life, share a coffee at a cafe, take a walk through a park or a local neighbourhood.


Buenos Aires is quite a lot different to Rio and is exactly the reason for my extension in South America. Aside from the fact that I may possibly never be around this side of the world again I figured I might as well make the most of my South American proximity. Also having traveled, then volunteered (subjectively speaking) without making excuses I probably wasn’t ready to head immediately over to the UK and resume the daily grind (euphemism for procrastination perhaps). That being said, I think my intentions of a vacation in Argentina was exactly what I wanted and needed: Eye-opening experience and a nice way to wind down my travels.


Food wise there were only really a handful of things that I gorged myself with. You can’t come to Argentina without (diet warranting) trying an authentic Argentina BBQ piece of meat.

No comments: