Thursday 1 May 2008

Seen one garden, you seen em all...

What has become a reoccurring theme here in Ipanema, bad weather conditions had once again prevented the Surf School from opening. This time it wasn't the surf that was proving the problem but the weather. The heavens opened and lashed the shores with wind and water. I was caught unprepared, no umbrella and no towel. Completely drenched I headed back to Gloria for refuge from the weather. There I sat in the empty house, maids and cleaners scurrying around. It was to be another unproductive day, as I sat in the room I went through the Lonely Planet for something to do, it was only 11:00 am and I wasn't prepared to waste another day in Rio. So I decided, in torrential rain to check out the Botanical Gardens, also known as Jardim Botanico.


Popped on to the Metro and caught the first train to Botafogo before jumping on the Metro Bus to Jardim Botanico. In total I spent close to 1 hour walking through the various sections of the garden, majority of the walkways were flooded and was not the most pleasant walk especially in Haviananas. Snapped a couple of photos and was soon out of there.


So here comes the best part of the day, if not one of the best parts of my trip. Brace yourself, it was more of a part motive for traveling to Brazil but I was about to participate in my first Brazilian JiuJitsu (BJJ) lesson. Down the road from where we stay along the main strip of shops is a small dance studio which for the most part holds ballet lessons. However every Monday, Wednesday and Saturday Professor Richardo takes the school for BJJ. It's a stark contrast, while sitting in the room waiting for the class to start Classical music boomed through the corridors until at around 8:30 pm a couple of not-so graceful students walked through the door.

The class itself is small, 3 other students of varying grades. Initially I was forced to speak to him and give him details through one of the ballet teachers who spoke perfect English. I managed to get to him that I trained back in Australia and wanted to take a couple of lessons while I was in town.

To be honest, it was possibly the most fun I've had all trip in Rio. The kids were young and exuberant and I tried my best to communicate with them, throwing limited phrases of Portuguese as they tried to speak English. Plenty of smiles and laughter. The teacher was quite cautious with my training, I think he wanted to gauge what level I was at. Warm up consisted of pummelling, arm drags and back control. Technique was passing guard or "passa guarda", couple of arm locks and basic mounting. Despite being basic techniques I still had fun watching him take the class. The class finished with a roll which he must have gone no more than 10% letting me finish him off with a simple arm bar. I cannot wait for the next lesson!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

hi my name is kelly - great blog on brazil!

i am due to fly out tomorrow to rio de janeiro for a i-to-i project and was just wondering how much the BJJ lessons cost?

i wouldnt mind getting a few classes in while i am there.

also is it quite safe to walk around from the baron gardens to the studio and back again? (at night/in the day)

any other tips and advice would be greatly appreciated

generic nobody said...

Thanks mate,

From memory the lessons weren't too steep, much cheaper than the UK and Australia. It's been a while since I was there, but you'll see a ballet/bjj sign on the main strip not too far from the volunteer house. Let me know how it goes!

ps: I think the house record for most number of pizza slices was 27 when I was there =D

Unknown said...

Cool thanks for the info :)

WOW 27! i can only do 13 slices of a large pizza so the record will remain intact

i will let you know how it goes when i get back :)

thanks again