Wednesday 4 July 2018

Day 5: Moray/Maras

There is a certain peace and calm about traveling by yourself - Everything feels smooth and seamless, there's no agitation and things just happen, or they don't happen. Maybe I'll go for a wander, or maybe I'll sit on my bed and watch the world cup, or read, or take a nap. There's a sense of freedom and comfort knowing that you have space to do whatever you feel like. First night at the new accommodation, it's a hostel on the San Blas neighborhood. It's bare bones. The water from the shower lacks heat and pressure, there aren't enough power outlets, you can hear people walking upstairs, the breakfast is average, but there's a heater, the bed is firm and the room is comfortable.


I'm still coming to terms with yesterday's experience. I'm physically and mentally exhausted, but I'm not sleepy. I survived: No heart complications. No epiphany moment. I feel reset, re-purposed, without feeling driven. Still, I try to dissect and analyse the events that took place; what is my take away?

Today was the day I had set aside for errands and bucket list items. Clear work emails, find a laundromat, buy some souvenirs, withdraw some Peruvian Soles, acquire the services of a private driver and finally, decide what to do on my final day in Peru.


I message Machu Peru Travel, the team who had assisted with my Machu Picchu tour and they were kind enough to arrange a private driver for the day, for 140 Soles. Edgar arrived at the hostel at 10 am and 90 minutes later we were at the Moray Agricultural Terraces. 70 Soles for entry and 50 minutes walking around I was ready for lunch. I had a lunch reservation so Mil Centro which I had been looking forward to all trip. The 7 'moment' tasting menu was delightful. There is a section in the restaurant detailing all the ingredients and the local Andean produce. 625 Soles (200 USD) a real treat of a place. It's times like that I wish I were traveling with somebody else. I also had my first alcoholic drink on the trip at 3500 metres above sea level. Suffice to say, alcohol at altitude is something else.



Edgar was waiting for me in the car park - I had just spent 90 minutes having an exquisite lunch while he sat in the car with the windows rolled down waiting for me. The moment of guilt passed, as he stuck his head up and we were soon off to the next destination: Salinas de Maras



Final stop of the day was Chincero before returning to the hostel just before 7.


Dinner at Chicha, now that I'm no longer following any diet I tuck into some Peruvian specialties: Guinea Pig, Lomo Saltado and Pisco Sours. What an excellent day!




1 comment:

marion said...

Sounds amazing!! Happy you didn't die the next day.. congrats