Sunday 1 July 2018

Day 2: Machu Picchu

Wide awake at 3 am, not sure if this is jet lag or a function of going to bed at 7 pm. I lay in bed and read for an hour. I eventually pull myself out of bed, pack my bag, do some push ups, meditate, shower and eventually head up to the breakfast area. There's a handful of hotel patrons plodding about, still half asleep drinking coco-leave tea and fueling up on fruit. It comes to my attention that these people look very prepared: Wet weather trousers, hiking shoes, down jackets, sports sunglasses, Camelbaks and hiking poles. I look down at what I'm wearing: chinos, a t-shirt and sneakers. I wonder if we're doing the same thing?

At 5:20 am I'm greeted by my tour guide, Mario; he's also rugged up. We leave the hotel and join a 200 metre long queue. "The first bus up to Machu Picchu starts at 5:30. People start lining up at 4 am". We wait around 30 minutes for the bus. It's a 25 minute cliff-hugging, winding bus ride up the Hiram Bingham Highway.

We arrive in time for Sunrise and it's absolutely breathing taking. Up until now I have been reading about Machu Picchu and now I'm finally seeing everything! Mario, very knowledgeable about the Andean/Inca civilisation and a wizard with the photographs. We part ways at 10 am and I make my own way up to the Guard House and up to the Sun Gate. Spectacular. Machu Picchu, check.








I grab lunch back in the main town and catch the remainder of the Russia/Spain World Cup game. My train is at 3 pm to Poroy, Cusco. I check into the hotel in Cusco; I can already feel the altitude and the temperature change.

Currently reading: "Turn right at Machu Picchu"

No comments: