Sunday 5 April 2020

Working From Home

Working from home, or WFH, is my hot pick for acronym of the year (although, technically Covid19 is also an acronym, and well that basically owns that title). Work has split us into two teams, Team A and well no surprises with the second team name, Team B. What does this mean? Well, Team A members are forbidden from fraternising with Team B members. So work has arranged a rotation schedule where one team can be in the office while the other team has to work from home, or remotely.

I will say, there are benefits to working from home. My productivity on tasks is a lot more focused, probably attributable to the fact that people aren't stopping by the desk asking questions or having a general chat. The other thing is, meetings are a lot more structured and planned so the days ultimately revolve around meetings, I can segment my day in to things that need to be finished; although I should be doing this anyway. I still spend time going to the kitchen and the bathroom but given the size of my apartment these necessities barely dent the time away from the desk.

My day is usually as follows: Wake up at 7 am (same time if I needed to get to work by 8 am), Boil Water, brush teeth, meditate for 10 minutes, drink warm water with apple cider vinegar, listening to the news. However, here's where things deviate, instead of changing clothes, doing hair, packing bag and running to the bus stop. I do thirty minute of breathing exercises and light stretching, (sometimes) I will change out of my PJs. At around 7:50 am I'll log into computer. I'll scan emails, and make a breakfast smoothie before dialling in for the 8:30 am morning call.

I make an effort to get out of the apartment, either going downstairs to pick up some groceries, grab some Vitamin D (if weather permits), after work I'll either go for a run, or wander around the neighbourhood just to mark up my step count for the day. I have been enjoying cooking lunch and breakfast and these chores provide a good break from the continuity of being apartment bound for the entire day.

My setup for work isn't perfect - But, that being said, I am fortunate enough to have space and a dining table where I can setup a half decent work station. I have an extra monitor and do miss the extra real estate but humans adapt and it's become very manageable. In hindsight, moving apartments was a a genius stroke because I couldn't imagine working from home at my old apartment. I'm also aware that not every person in Hong Kong has the luxury to work from home so my setup is definitely more on the  desirable side than the non-desirable.

In other news, I finally have a sofa. However, I still haven't signed up for Netflix. I have switched from Spotify to YouTube Music, though. Currently watching a YouTube video about how to prepare Korean instant noodles.




No comments: