Sunday 12 April 2020

Hitting the pavement

Gyms and fitness studios have been instructed by the Hong Kong government to remain closed for another 2 weeks. For some reason, I cannot for the life of me get into online fitness or yoga sessions. It's similar to being in a hotel gym, I just can replicate the same intensity or motivation. I suspect it has something to do with familiarity but also the subtle motivation of having other people.

With that being said, I have purchased a yoga mat, a skipping rope and some resistance bands. This has eventuated to 15-20 minute "workouts" at home. When I say workouts, the term is loose, i break a sweat, but my heart rate isn't racing, but it still feels good to get the blood moving. My primary form of exercise has shifted to running. I no longer have the luxury of Bowen Road, however I've found an equally amazing running route near to home. 10 minutes away down by the harbour is Sun Yat Sen (SYS) Memorial park. On weekends, you can find plenty of people working out and casually lounging (well, at least before what happened).

Lately this park has become a surrogate fitness studio. I challenge you to go there during the week where there's not somebody running, boxing, using a TRX, doing yoga, HIIT. It's pretty cool and thankfully it's not summer in Hong Kong, yet.

So back to running, I have been running two to three times a week down by the harbour front along Victoria Harbour. My route, takes me from SYS along the harbour, through to Sheung Wan, up to Central along the CBD and the ferry piers, around past Admiralty over to the Golden Bauhinia. As far as runs go, it's a pretty epic 7 km roundtrip. Sometimes if I'm feeling ballsy I'll keep the run going past SYS and continue west towards Kennedy town and that tops the run up at approximately 10 km. The great thing about this run is that you get to see the entire harbour and all of the iconic buildings of Hong Kong. I sometimes have to pinch myself that the two regular running tracks that I have had are Bowen Road and the harbour front.

I am enjoying running, I do see my pace improving, not drastically, but enough to give me motivation. I do notice the difference between running when there's a headwind, or when I'm running in a fasted state. Admittedly I have become a little obsessed as I'll run now even if it's raining.

I don't usually run with my phone so haven't had the opportunity to take a photo, but I'll try to get something up soon.

No comments: