Thursday 26 May 2011

Laptop dramas

"You've had that laptop for ages! Get a new one!"

It's true. I have had this laptop for ages - Since 2004 in fact. Not to say that it's bricked and complete useless, it's just I haven't been bothered to load up a new Operating System. Actually, I was bothered, so bothered in fact that I requested that the external optical drive be delivered from Sydney all the way to Hong Kong. This consequently put a friend through an Airport Security nightmare only seen in glorified Hollywood movies, but that's her story, not mine (Thanks again Jen).


So back to my laptop, 12" LCD, 1.2 GHz Intel Centrino, 1 GB of RAM, 60 GB HD and Wireless 802.1b. Hardware prowess that would have made any geek from 2004 cream their pants. Unfortunately, as per Moore's Law these specs no longer command the attention of computing enthusiasts, in fact I'm pretty sure your kitchen fridge has more computing power than my old Dell X300. The point is, it serves me well and despite the frailties of the Operating System the laptop still lives on.


Whenever I encounter any issues, be it, Virus, Malware or sluggishness I simply format my PC, whack a fresh copy of Windows XP and Bob's yer uncle. Since 2004 I would say I have probably formatted this laptop anywhere between 20 to 30 times. Unfortunately this time around I decided to move over to Ubuntu and accidentally put the image on my backup/media partition instead of the 7 year old dedicated OS partition!

What this means is that I've lost all my media since 2004! Media dating back to my University days! Britney Spears' first hit album! Underground freestyle videos! My post-University trip around Asia! My 3 years in Europe! All those photos! Everything! Gone*! I'll be the first to admit that I was completely in a state of shock when I figured out what I had done. That being said, I've used recovery software before, so for the time being I'm just letting it sit until I have the resources to (hopefully) recover the last 7 years of my life.

It's a bizarre feeling reduced access to the Internet, I feel so naked. My "smartphone", currently on a Hong Kong Pre-paid plan has no data and my Laptop doesn't function so not being consistently connected to the internet 24/7 is a completely foreign experience. It's as if I'm back in some prehistoric period, some period, like the year 2004...

1 comment:

ThePhobic said...

ahaha u'll live another day.. it's only a computer... like u said. u've got back up software.. best of luck.. dont eat to much dimsum! OINK!