Monday 2 May 2011

End Point

I distinctly remember leaving Sydney with the mandate to try Hong Kong out until the beginning of May. By 'try' I had intentions to see if Asia required somebody with my skill-set. This seemed like a reasonable plan, and if after 6 weeks there was zero interest in my resume I told myself (and others) that I would attend the wedding and simply return to Australia and resume life in Sydney. I secretly knew that this wasn't really an option.

So, now it is May and I've not much to report. The market has been extremely slow. A far cry from my first few weeks in London where interviews were constant and consistent! I think this contrast is part of the reason why I still remain here, determined to set myself up in Hong Kong. To this date I have had zero interviews with companies and I'm starting to feel like I've outstayed my friend's couch. As strange as that sounds I find the lack of interviews re-assuring. The general feedback I've received from recruiters is that my resume will definitely provoke interest and that I just need to exercise a little patience as the market was "unusually" slow right. So enough about my situation and back to the main post topic, the wedding.

It has been over 5 years since I was last in Taipei and it still remains one of my favourite Asian Destinations. Friendly people, excellent food and an overall great vibe - not a lot has changed. Despite being here before I was secretly excited to spend the weekend in Taiwan. Firstly it would be the first family gathering since my Grandma's funeral and I couldn't wait to see Aunts, Uncles and immediate family from Australia. Secondly, the two getting married (my cousin and his fiancee) helped me a lot while I was in London and I owe them so much for the way my London Experience panned out.

The wedding itself was traditional, intimate and a lovely ceremony. I was, by default the best man, by tradition, the definition, an unmarried male from representing the Groom's side. Wonderful time, excellent food and a renewed vigor to get back to Hong Kong to set myself up!


No comments: