Friday 30 August 2019

Burning Man trip

"Check out the Woolly mammoth art sculpture!"

I rode around everywhere trying to find it. Philosophically, was it a wild goose chase, the mammoth was something that has been extinct for millions of years. I was a searching for something that was no longer there. As I pedalled across the Playa, hoping to find something, I questioned whether or not this was a euphemism for something.

I passed butterflies, statues, hedgehogs and even elephants. At each exhibit I stood and squinted and internally asked "Is this it?". Eventually I found the booth, the 'Talk to God telephone booth", it was ringing. I pulled up and picked up the headset. Click. "Hi". "Hi, there", the voice sounded female. Progressive. "Is this god?". "Sure is". "Do you know if there's a woolly mammoth here at Burning Man?". "Yes, is the big fluro blob with the trunk in the air.".

I paused, that was one of the first art sculptures I'd seen. It had been there all a long, and yet I had spent the entire afternoon cycling around looking for something that was always there. Then it clicked, this was the gift from outside of the playa. Chasing to impress, to prove, to validate. Instead of just being.

"Anything else I can help you with?". "No. I'm good, there's another guy that's just pulled up who wants to talk to you."

Another burn, I've come out understanding the areas I need to improve, the areas I need to foster, and the areas I need to let go.






1 comment:

Miss Governor said...

You found the mammoth :)