Tuesday 15 August 2017

Tell me a story ...

"I'm going interstate this weekend to visit the grandkids. I've taken in your laundry from the line outside. Your dinner is resting on top of the stove, it should keep warm, just make sure you eat it before seven pm otherwise it will get cold". It was 3 pm on the Thursday, Mr Lee was her neighbour that lived in the apartment opposite her's. She had lived in the same place for the last 20 years. Even after her husband passed away she had decided that this would be her last abode; it was home.

The last few years had been tough, she was no longer able to function independently, once a week a caretaker would come by, every other day Mr Lee would check on her. They had been neighbours for years and his situation of being a widower provided her with solace and comfort that she was not alone. Mr Lee, would always go out of his way to purchase some Cinnabon or her favourite cake and always proclaim with exuberance what he had purchased for her. They had developed a bond and their interactions became the highlight of their days.

Weeks later, she sits in the dining room sobbing. "Are you ok ma'am?" asked the caretaker. "Mr Lee is moving out, he wants to move closer to his grandkids" she replied. "You want him to stay don't you?". Reluctantly she nods, I don't want to come between him and his family, but if only there was a way to tell him subtly that I appreciate his company and want him to stay".

One week before the removals arrive to ship his things away. Mr Lee, pours her a cup of tea. "So, are you going to miss me?". "Who's going to bring in my underwear? This is really selfish of you, you know, Im 80 years old, I can't be going commando". "I tell you what, if you leave me underwear to bring this Thursday I may consider staying, we can't have an old lady flashing her snatch". She smiles, "I expect them to be nicely folded".

It's Thursday morning, she hangs her underwear on the line. Mr Lee comes home later that day, he's anxious and nervous, he's hoping that the underwear is on the line. At 3 pm, he goes outside, the line is empty. There's nothing there. Down the road, two kids are laughing, they have stolen some old lady's underwear and are using it as a parachute. Mr Lee leaves.

Inspired by Murakami






No comments: