Saturday 19 August 2017

Annual Healthcheck

Every year, right before my medical insurance expires, I book an annual health check up. There's always anxiety and curiosity around this time of the year. The curiosity manifests itself from the fact that my body is ageing and that a clean bill of health is something indirectly correlated with age and the Hong Kong lifestyle. That and the fact that I've been aggressively trying to eat more plant-based over the last few months, makes me curious as to whether this has had an impact on my innards.


The anxiety, stems more from the logistics on providing the samples to analyse. This includes, a stool sample (you have the prepare this beforehand), a urine sample (you to drink enough water to pee on demand), a fasted blood sample (don't worry, the nurse helps here), toe nail clippings and a loch of right armpit hair (actually, the last two aren't really required). In addition, they scan your lungs, check the lung capacity, take your height/weight, ultrasound your abdomen, test your eyesight and monitor your cardiovascular capacity on a treadmill. After three hours, the collection process is over.


No comments: