Friday 2 September 2016

And so it is: Last day at work

Since my resignation two months ago, I had expected the workload to slow down. However, due to block leave and deadlines it has been quite the opposite - my days have been vigorious, working weekends and maintaining the same intensity as a employee with no end in sight. "Why are you still working so hard?" is the common mantra from friends, I honestly don't know. I guess the issue is, the work needs to be delivered and since I'm the only person around there remains an element of accountability. So I push on, not 100%, but not full time malingering.

With that being said, it has finally started to taper off during this last week. Since returning from Bali I embark on my final four days and it has finally started to taper off. My colleague has returned and the last few days have been dedicated to handovers. I leave before 7 pm and my demeanour noticeably improves up until the final day. I am still sending mails, not everybody knows that my time here is drawing to an end. I order 40 cupcakes, and write up my farewell email.

Today marks my final day with BNP Paribas - It has been an enjoyable three years punctuated by challenges, fulfilment and entertainment both professionally and personally. Thank you to the Client Management team, past and present. To the stakeholders who tried to make life easier for me. Finally, to those who always had the time for a conversation in the kitchen or lifts of Exchange Square and PCCW Tower.

There was always a risk that this would become an award’s acceptance speech, so before I drop the mic I can be contacted on all the regular channels: email, mobile, Facebook and of course Snapchat.

Regards,

Derek

There are faces of confusion, clearly my departure was not advertised and as I walk around and bid farewell to the faces on level 16 the resounding sentiment is "Congratulations". I leave the building and head back to Exchange Square for my exit interview.



No comments: