Saturday 28 September 2013

One of these is not like the other

I woke up this morning with beer and the latest issue of National Geographic in my fridge. There were also new messages on my phone "God I hope you're alright", "I'm changing now" and "What are you doing?". Most people, if presented with this scenario would be slightly perplexed, and I will be honest, it took me a few moments to realise what was going on here. Conflicted with choice, I grabbed the milk (why I had originally opened the fridge) and the Nat Geo. The magazine was crisp and cold, it felt sterile and new, I momentarily considered storing all of my literature in the fridge. Sanity prevailed and I sat down and ate my oats whilst replaying the events of the prior evening. 

It all started at the Sevva rooftop bar. We, our team, were celebrating the recent marriage of a colleague. Mid Autumn had just passed and as expected, the weather was cooler, making for a lovely evening to be amongst the Hong Kong Skyline. I received a message from a girl, it contained a picture of butterfly in a jar, childhood innocence or animal cruelty? I wasn't sure, I was four beers deep and toasting with a glass of champagne. It was also Friday and Friday's are hands down the best day of the week. Turns out the butterfly in a jar was a present for her friend's house warming party.

Drinks eventually turned to into dinner and dinner turned into home time. It was still early, and I walked home feeling rather proud that I wasn't drunk and that it was still before midnight. It also felt a little unusual going home so early, I immediately began to plan my day knowing that the Shaolin Mafia were about to take on Dragon Dash the following day (see next post for explanation). 

New message alert, it's another message from Butterfly Girl asking if I want to come to the house warming party. Why not, the party is in Sheung Wan and it's still early. Realising that I can't show up empty handed I walk into the nearest 7/11 and grab some alcohol; beers. Perusing the store, I look for a suitable house warming gift. Cantonese Music DVDs, Umbrellas, Condoms, Chewing Gum, Chinese Gossip Magazines, I grab the National Geographic. Shortly after, that undeniable feeling, I'm lost, call it coincidence but her phone battery has also died, I wander Bonham Strand for the better part of 5 minutes and realise the futility of it all. It's just after midnight, I open a beer and head home.


"I hate these blurred lines" - Robin Thicke

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mushroom and Mayo goes well :D