Tuesday 27 December 2011

Qingyuan Q&A

Finally home. I am completely and utterly exhausted but still buzzing from the amazing experience that was granted to me. What a great trip, it's hard to return from a volunteer trip saying it was everything that I expected. What do people expect to happen on such a program? To have poverty run up and smack you in the face only to come back feeling like Angelina Jolie? Not in the sense of feeling like a celebrity and somebody with value but having a sense of being to help those less privileged and adopt a child.

There's always a certain smugness or even reluctance when you return from such a trip. What can you change? What did you change? I think in the end it's a two-fold exercise. You want to walk away thinking that you've made a difference but I think the true value of it all is to know that you've made a difference to yourself. Your perspective and thoughts are altered. Was it the children who benefited? Sure, was it us? Sure.

It's always funny to hear the reactions when people find out that you missed out on Christmas and "nobly" decided to spend it in rural China on a volunteer program. It's strange, I'm almost hesitant to tell people what I'm up to. Ashamed? Not really, I'm just not looking for the accolades of "valiant Christmas". In fact one of the reasons why I enjoy volunteer work aside from being able to interact with people without the status and showboating of society is that it gives me a sense of cleansing and grounds me with what is actually important in this world. Lame, maybe. True, yes.

One of the most common questions was "Why are you giving up Christmas?" followed closely by "Have you done this before?". I guess the thing about Christmas amidst all the hallmark showboating is that it's the event where you're surrounded by friends and family, enjoying great food and just their company. There are a few times during the year for when this harks significance for me, Christmas, Chinese New Year and my Birthday.

In the end, according to my definition I had an excellent Christmas. I met plenty of new friends, had excellent food and enjoyed the company of people and came away feeling like I had done something worth wild. It was a very pure Christmas. Pure weekend, where even though the kids might have no completely understood the meaning of Christmas they will always have a positive association with December 25th. A fun day  filled with laughter and singing. In a strange way, they all have a pure definition of Christmas especially compared to children brought up in the Western world.

I was dubious about the my contribution, the lack of communication and physically being able to better their English.  But it's amazing what a simple smile and some ridiculous body language can do. It's primitive yet effective we made their weekend with our company and the simple human interaction.

The highlights for me were. Living with the families. The generosity left me speechless. We were offered beds and lodging without hesitations. Stories of other volunteers being given blankets with holes and falling asleep to the sound of chattering teeth and sobs in darkness. Singing their school song in front of the students and they joined in and sang along with the complementary sign language was the other highlight.

A lot of these kids grow up without fathers or male figures.  These kids come home and wash and cook without being told, they look after their younger siblings, do their homework and sleep. They have so much responsibility and sometimes they forget that they're actually children. I'd like to think we gave them that chance, to be young, to laugh, to smile, to run and misbehave.

The trip ended with the following questionnaire:

How do you feel?
Most touching Experience?
How will it impact your life?
What will you change when you return to Hong Kong?
Will you join next time?

No comments: