Saturday 24 December 2011

Christmas Eve

My previous, albeit brief flirtations as a volunteer had kindled an interest to dedicate some time to philanthropy in Asia. In particular, volunteer work within China. Admittedly, I was resigned to the fact that this experience would probably take place a little later in my life. This was more because I lacked the critical tools to embark on such a program. Namely, a basic grasp of the language and more importantly time to facilitate a stint overseas. This all changed one week ago when I stumbled across House of Learning, a non-profit organisation whose energy is directed at helping the less fortunate in Hong Kong and China. Anita, the Project Organiser graciously invited me along for the trip.

The lead up to my adventure into Qingyuan, China was riddled with problems. I had enlisted three days before the start of the trip and had missed the relevant training sessions leaving me completely in the dark. Worse still, on the night before I was scheduled to depart I discovered at 10 pm that I had accidentally left my passport in the office. The next hour was spent convincing the security guard to let me into the building and trying to figure out the after-hours office door code. It was a great relief to finally have my passport back in my possession.

My six o'clock alarm does not agree with me. I immediately regret going to Lan Kwai Fong the night earlier for those 'Quiet Pre-Christmas Drinks'. Struggling on four hours of sleep, I find my house mate still awake from the night earlier. He still looks drunk, and immediately all inhibitions about forfeiting my Christmas in Hong Kong dissipate. After all, that would have probably would have been me all weekend. I dump a protein shake and make for Lo Wu.

At 7:40 I finally arrive at Lo Wu, I was supposed to meet the rest of the party at 7:30. It should have come as no surprise that I was running late, typical. I had throughout the train ride received multiple calls from the team leaders who were trying to solicit my whereabouts. "I've just arrived. I'll meet you there shortly" I pant as I dart through the early morning platform crowd. 8:00 I'm still lining up at immigration, another phone call."Whereabouts are you?" I hear. "Sorry, I'm almost there, I'm caught up at immigration" I reply. "Immigration? Wait, you've gone to far, you were supposed to meet on the Hong Kong Side of Lo Wu". This was not panning out as I had expected, and I questioned what I was doing at the Chinese border going into a country with complete strangers and zero language skills. I was almost tempted to abort this adventure and just return to Hong Kong with all the other expats and enjoy Christmas eating a truck load of food and getting drunk; then again, that's really just every other weekend in Hong Kong.

It was almost 9 am by the time I finally met the House of Learning group outside the Shangri la Hotel, Shenzhen . I was horribly late and despite not having met a single member of the party I was already infamously known as "Derek, the guy who was late". The first thing that strikes me is the sheer number of volunteers willing to help. Professionals of all ages, students, young families, the odd straggler had all voluntarily decided to forfeit their Christmas in Hong Kong.

I was immediately introduced to my team and for this weekend, Michelle, Mandy, Rachel, Kenny, Manic and myself would be known as 'Group Six'. We boarded the coach that would be our primary mode of transport for the next few days and settled in for the drive from Shenzhen to Quingyuan. Anita introduced the  group leaders and talked us through the upcoming itinerary, this was of course all in Cantonese and I managed to understand the odd sentence here and there but the reality of the language barrier dawned on me. I spent the journey seated next to Pauline, although I wasn't much company as asleep for majority of the four hour commute, occasionally waking up to the sound of chatter and the sound of myself snoring.

I was absolutely starving by the time we arrived at our first stop, Ching Hing Hotel. After we emptied our bladders and then crammed into the dining area of the hotel where lunch was served. The warm food was welcomed by the group and almost immediately we were back on the road. I was well fed and well rested and my attention was drawn to the rural backdrop we were motoring through. Passed through areas of fairly dense vegetation and the simple local abodes we continued along the dusty road for another 10 minutes until the concrete walls of Ya Wen Primary school eventually crept up on us. The children gathered together as the bus slowly pulled through the gates of the school. There were looks of anxiety, curiosity and excitement, from both the children and the volunteers.


The kids were divided into groups and our group, Group Six had their first session with Anita in the Brain Enhancement session up on level four. Up until now, I still wasn't entirely sure what role I would be playing here, I knew there would be English involved but the interaction and contribution that I would be able to bring was still unknown. Anita pulled me aside and asked if I would be able to help with the Christmas Carols, in this case "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town". There were no hesitations and I immediately agreed although I would have been lying if I had said I wasn't nervous. I was handed the microphone, the music started and  soon enough I was singing solo in front of 30-40 students in a foreign language that they didn't understand. The only time I sing is when I'm blind drunk - I was completely sober and couldn't help but feel that this performance would end up on the outtake of an American Idol bloopers segment. The next 20 minutes we spent going through the lyrics and dance moves to the song. I would read out a few lines as I paced among the students while Anita explained the story in Cantonese.



After the open mic session I was a little more relaxed and we were given time to go through some activities with the children. The first task was to get the kids to write their name tags in both Chinese and English. The next activity was to help the kids create English sentences with the following prompts: Who, What, When, and What if. To wrap up the day's activities the kids created a Group Six team banner using arts and crafts.


The most challenging thing I found was the inability to communicate with the children. Each time I opened my mouth the children looked at me dumbfounded. The other volunteers were able to interact with Cantonese I found myself constantly muted and having to use basic body language as a form of communication. It was actually quite frustrating as I felt a sense of helplessness trying to find out what the kids were doing and thinking. One of the things that grabbed my attention was the amount of energy they possessed and how fleeting their attention span was at times. They were constantly doing something, one minute working hard, the next minute being distracted by something seemingly insignificant. By the end of the day I was completely exhausted and had a new found respect for primary school teachers.


Our day ended with a candid sharing session about our first day's experiences: the children, the work, their attitudes and the various difficulties and surprises. A delicious dinner was served downstairs and the volunteers again heartily wolfed down the food; famished by a combination of hyperactive children and the cooler than expected climate. Proceeding dinner we prepared the Christmas Bonfire for the ceremonial cooking of the potatoes and the exchange of our gifts. We checked into Ching Hing Hotel and a group of us wandered around town looking for provisions and the odd snack. We stumbled across a restaurant that served dog meat and unanimously continued our search. Buggered, I retired early and practically fell asleep the instant my head hit the pillow.

No comments: