Friday 25 November 2011

Thanksgiving

"I'm thankful for ..." her attempts to get the the "Give thanks" process under way was met by stiff resistance. It oozed thick, gooey sappiness and people were scared of the openess of the forum it was to be delivered to. After all, a lot of the people here had only met each other this evening and I could already see people diving into the recesses of 2011 searching for a list of items to be thankful for. In the end, we never gave thanks, I think this relieved the 20 odd person crowd. I was secretly kind of hoping to see how this cringe moment would unfold. It looks like I'll have to keep my 'thanks' private for at least another year. I had my list ready, I say list because the rule is, you're not allowed to repeat what somebody else has given thanks for.

I find it difficult to sit and type this entry. My breathing is laboured. I'm not drunk, although it is a similiar form of over consumption. I've eaten too much. My first Thanksgiving in Hong Kong, actually ever, anywhere in the world. This Thanksgiving was hosted by a couple of American friends and what a memorable Thanksgiving it was! Turkey, stuffing, gravies, sauces, pumpkin bread (oh, that divine pumpkin bread), pumpkin pie, pecan pie, apple pie, ice cream and brownies. It's an affair riddled with food, drinks and laughter. Bliss, I can see why it's such a big thing State side.


Anyways, my thanks would have gone a little something like this: Im thankful for the delicious pumpkin recipes, seriously you have to try the Pumpkin Bread. I'm thankful to be spending my very first Thanksgiving with such a great group of people. Sappy yes, true yes. I'm thankful to be settled here in Hong Kong, a new chapter and new adventures. Finally, I'm thankful for great friends old and new and family thank I now see more in Asia than I did after 3 years in the UK.


What I'm not thankful for is the really uncomfortable feeling from overeating. I've burped at least 10 times and each time a little bit of food resurfaces from reflux. Gluttony, we meet again. Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: