Monday 7 November 2011

Can you tell me how to get ....

Hong Kong is one unbelievably efficient city. The city's public transport system hums like a well-oiled machine with tires, tracks and engines purposefully pumping people around Hong Kong like blood through the arteries. I would go as far as saying that Hong Kong is spoilt with transport options. Trains, buses, mini-buses, private cars, ferries, trams, the trusty Crown Comfort Taxi and finally not forgetting that there's a bloody escalator pushing pedestrians up and down a mountain; like a factory conveyor belt. It comes as no surprise, that it takes less than 50 minutes from sitting at my office desk to be sitting outside the Gate 22 of Hong Kong International Airport waiting to board my flight.

My first time to Jakarta. Reminds me a little of Malaysia. The best thing about it all is that they have an abudnace of US food chains: Kenny Rogers, Krispy Kremes and Dunkin' Donuts; Junk food I've sorely missed.


Part of the reason to visit is because I've never been, but also to visit a close university friend and his young family. It's his daughter's first Birthday and all the Hong Kong uncles were making a stop over for the Sesame Street themed gig. As with most weekend trips, this would include the regulatory weekend nightlife exploration: Blowfish, Stadium and Immigration some of the local haunts we headed to. It's a strange feeling to have a friend tell you he needs to go home because he "needs to wake up early to look after his daughter" and it becomes more apparent when there's two of you sitting outside the hotel vomiting in front of the security guards. The real juxtaposition is the Saturday morning, balloons, cakes, giant cut out Seasame Street figures, mothers, screaming kids and us; a bunch of hungover uncles. That period of my life just seems so far away.

"Can you tell me how to get, how to get to Seasame Street?"

No comments: