Thursday 29 September 2011

Level 8

"What does that mean?" I ask, still half asleep. "It means it's too dangerous to go outside. There's no work or school today." my house mate says. "Really? Then why are you getting ready for work?" I quiz. "Just because Hong Kong is closed doesn't mean the rest of Asia is!" he shoots back. My first Typhoon Level 8.  I had heard all about Hong Kong's infamous Black Rain and Typhoon warnings but I was really curious to see what all the fuss was about.

Splashing water on my face, I lumber downstairs to the apartment foyer, I'm still wearing my PJs. I say good morning to the concierge and begin looking for any clues that might suggest today is no ordinary day. To my disappointment the glass doors aren't boarded up, there's no carnage outside, no Mary Poppins impersonators, no stash of non-perishable goods, not even a security guard to warn people about the perils outside. The sky is unusually darker, wait a minute, why is the concierge even in this early? Then I see it, the one difference. There, in the middle of the glass door is an A4 laminate sign confirming what I had heard earlier. Category 8 Typhoon.


So, back to my question. What does Level 8 Typhoon mean? Like with most things in society we rate weather conditions based on a scale. Rain in Hong Kong is done by colours (Black, Red and Amber) the typhoon system is a number between one and ten. One being good, ten being bad and eight being the level that deems it too dangerous to be outdoors. I stick my head the door. It feels a little breezier, perhaps even a little warmer than usual.


Deciding I had nothing better to do I head back upstairs, get dressed and head to work. People here in Hong Kong really take the whole "no work" thing seriously. It's like a ghost town. I peer down the street, there's not a single car and I cross the road without paying attention to the traffic lights. There's the odd person walking to work, majority of them are expats who are in walking distance to work. The atmospheric conditions aren't bad, the clouds are ominous and it's ridiculously dark but other than some wind it's fine. I guess the Hong Kong Government doesn't want to take any risks with Tropical Cyclone Nesat.


Work is just as quiet, only the traders, couple of the Middle Office and a few support guys sit in the office. I ask them why they've bothered to come into work. "I have nothing to do at home. I'd probably just sit in front of the PC, figure I might as well come in and do some work. Plus it's free lunch whenever there's a level 8".

No comments: