Wednesday 13 July 2011

Signed, Sealed, Delivered

I sit in an unfamiliar, well lit conference room. The air conditioning unit humming in the background on full blast. The door opens and HR drops two ledgers on the desk. "I'll give you some time to read over the contract. Then if you're happy, please sign both copies". Momentary panic, I was about to give this company the next x years of my life. It's a strange feeling when you see a monetary figure on piece of paper. This figure is what this company values you at, this is how much you are worth to them on a yearly basis. I'm Yours!

There I sit, not completely enthused to sign the contract, I wonder if this will bear any influence on my time here. Despite the hesitation I am looking forward to starting work. I sign and leave the office that will soon become very familiar. Provided I pass the UK and Australian Background checks (I have no reason not to) I am now a Hong Kong employee!

I had wasted almost half of 2011! This was undoubtedly the period I was waiting for, to travel around Asia. I have a little bit of time between now and my tentative start date of the 8th August. Work has estimated a 3 week Visa turnaround, secretly I hope it's a little longer just so I can spend more time abroad. Flights booked. See you back here in August!


No comments: