Wednesday 30 December 2020

One week of the year

Hong Kong is classified as a 'sub-tropical' island. Which roughly translates to 3 months of stinking hot, humid weather, 3 months of moderately hot weather, 5 months of temperate weather, 1 month of cool weather during the winter. Occasionally, during winter you might experience one week of cold weather. Not biting cold, but moderately uncomfortable weather. During this time, it's not unusual to see an over-reaction to the cold from the local populace. This over-reaction rears its head in the form of down jackets, gloves, scarves and beanies. 

Last year's winter was so moderate I don't even think I used a jacket, did I? Whereas in 2016 it got numbingly cold as the mercury dropped below five degrees Celsius. Most people will say that this year's summer was not as 'hot' as previous years, or cooler, which brings me to this winter, it definitely feels cooler. It could also just be that my apartment feels colder and indirectly, I feel colder.

I have been fundamentally opposed to buying a heater that will be used for one week of the year, only for it to end up in storage. Especially in a country where abundance of storage is non-existent. However, now that I am an official Hong Kong Resident I am entitled to my very own winter over-reaction, a heater. 

I'm too old to be cold.


No comments: