Sunday 31 December 2017

The New Year's Expectations

There's only a few more hours left of 2017. I don't remember the last time I was at home during New Years Eve. I sit on the sofa, the TV is on with a live broadcast of the Sydney Harbour countdown. Dad is on his laptop and mom is on her iPad. My attention drifts between what's on the TV, what's on my Kindle and this situation. I try to remember the last time I was at home on the 31st of December; it has to be at least 20 years.

Dad is grumbling about Cockatoo Island, I can see mom has tuned out to his rant. I too. I think about the year that passed and my expectations vs what was actually realised. Resolutions vs Expectations; is there a difference? Both, can be measured, both can be managed.

Tim Ferriss uses an exercise to break down the year into the activities and events that accounted for either: 1) peak positive emotional states, or 2) peak negative emotional states. I come up with the following buckets

Positive:
  • Work
  • Further Education - Masters
  • Travel
  • Family
  • Relationships
  • Yoga
Negative:
  • Further Education - Masters
  • Relationships

Ideally, 2018 should have more yoga/meditation, be more present and a lot more selfish. The next twelve month should have less social media, less over-thinking and less aloofness. Or maybe, just none of the above ...

"Well the last plane out of Sydney's almost gone; You know there's seven flying hours, and I'll be landing in Hong Kong; and there ain't nothing like the kisses; From a jaded Chinese Princess; I'm gonna hit some Hong Kong mattress all night long" - Cold Chisel

No comments: