Monday 19 December 2016

Sydney 2016 (Part 1)

It has been 16 years since we finished high school and it still feels like yesterday we were running around the Canterbury Boys' High School quadrangle. The memories from that period of my life are the most fondness and memorable. Most of the boys have gotten married and started their own families with some of their kids about to embark upon their own high school memories. It's a surreal feeling, it feels like I'm a spectator watching from the side lines. Despite this, there are still a handful that aren't married so when one does decide to tie the knot, it's always a 'drop everything' event.

So with that in mind I headed to Sydney for what would be part 1 of an enjoyable December back home. I flew out of Hong Kong on the Friday night and arrived in home on Saturday morning for a short return. I can't speak more about being at home with family, if there's anything that remains constant it's returning home to Earlwood and having family time. In my eyes, things don't age but I know that each time I go back, there are subtleties that change.

The weekend was relaxing, I slept early on the Saturday evening and rose early to run errands before the wedding. I checked my calendar to confirm the Sunday wedding time, 2 pm. It seemed a little late for a wedding but I took the open morning to head out and pick up a Wedding Card before a family lunch and onward to the ceremony.

Embarrassingly, it turns out that Google Calendar stores the event as the local time of where the event  entry was created. Now, what that means is, when I received the invitation in Hong Kong, and entered the event that was at 11 am, it registered the Wedding at 11 am, Hong Kong Time. Read that carefully. So of course when I head to Sydney, it re-adjusted the event, factoring in a change in timezone and readjusted my calendar to 2 pm Sydney time, or 11 am Hong Kong time. Yes, that's what happened, I flew into Sydney for the wedding and still managed to be 3 hours late. Read that carefully.

I pulled up into the car park 30 minutes early (or 150 mins late, interpret that as you want) at Mosman and it was full, unusual that everybody was on time, but again I still didn't know that I was late. It was only until I found the wedding crowd. They were all standing and had champagne glasses, while listening to the groom give his thank you speech. He saw me walk in from the corner of his eye and made a special mention of my tardiness in his speech. Despite this, given the nature of the high school group, this unfortunate event would probably not surprise anybody. Beautiful afternoon, catching up with friends like we were still running around the grounds of Highschool. Time is fleeting.

Currently Reading: "Superforecasting"

No comments: