Tuesday 1 December 2015

Production Freeze

It has been quite a frustrating year in terms of career. I can't help but feel as if my career has stalled. My desire to change jobs has consumed me. "At least you have a job" they say. I parse back through my CV examining the different companies and roles that I've performed and wonder where did it all go wrong. Are my expectations to high?

I want to blame the redundancy, but that's just me making excuses. The optimism of finding a new job is a internal struggle, replete with highs and lows. No reply from recruiter. Discouraging moments of soul searching and constant questioning of self worth. No news, is it good news? Hope.

Why do we place so much emphasis on salary and title? Hong Kong is such a driven environment. It perpetuates the drive and ambition and creates a perceived future that we think we want. The people I hang around are the creme dela creme; boasting education from the most elite schools in the world. Oxford, Harvard, Princeton, Cambridge, MIT, names that overshadow The University of Sydney.

These are the people that have come to Hong Kong for their careers, over achievers, scholarships at Ivy League schools, Managing Directors by the age of 30, owners of start ups, salaries up to a million USD a year. It's hard to ignore career success, I want to. I am, in my own right, successful. Just not, that kind of successful. Ultimately, this is the pedigree of people are competing with you for that position. It feels like an unfair advantage, like a Division 1, Championship Team versus a Premier League heavyweight. Is this what my parents meant by "Study hard so you can get a good job"?

Thankfully it's the quieter time of the year - Everything is out of my hands and I'm enjoying the down time. Maybe this is why people like the Christmas period? This is why I like it. It's time to reset and refocus.

"Desire is a contract you make with yourself to be unhappy until you get what you want" - Naval Ravikant

No comments: