Friday 29 May 2015

你識唔識講廣東話呀?

The reality of the matter is that I'm a Chinese living in China with no grasp of Chinese. That profile, growing up in Australia bore no real consequence other than the odd raised eyebrows of family members and the any interaction with the Chinese community. So after growing up with the Chinese FOBs in highschool the tables have now turned as I struggle with language in China. Yes, I say China, Hong Kong is technically China now.

So comes the insidious realisation that looking oriental, or more specially, looking Chinese in China with no grasp of the language can be a disadvantage in a world that is more than ever placing emphasis on communicating within the region. So, "你識唔識講廣東話呀?" (Néih sīk-m̀h-sīk góng Gwóngdōngwá) is a phrase I regularly hear in Hong Kong - "Do you speak Cantonese?"

My response is a sheepish look and in a FOB accent "" (síu síu) or "a little". I get this question a lot, it usually comes after I open my mouth to speak. Until recently, I was quite being limited to  directing taxis, listening to basic conversations, ordering food and talking to infants (although, I think most infants know Cantonese better than me). Of late, I've been meeting with other organisations looking for candidates with my skill set only to be asked that question mid-interview. I have now received feedback from three separate organisations along the lines of "You're a great fit except we need somebody that can speak Chinese and cover the Cantonese client space". This is not to say that I would have been made an offer but it's definitely becoming a limiting factor - Could my lack of Cantonese be hampering my career progression in Asia?




No comments: