Monday 24 November 2014

Sydney

Lately, there has been a proclivity to blame things on senescence; old age and noticing things that just quite aren't how they used to be. The latest faculty deterioration, although not completely new is my inability to sleep on planes. There used to be a time when I would be able to catch the overnight flight to Sydney: watch a movie, have a meal, fall asleep, wake up, eat breakfast and touchdown. That in essence, would be my typical flight, throw in the odd crying baby and TV series but most flights would play out with sleep featuring quite heavily. The last few times back to Sydney, this has not been the case, despite the self-induced torpor I have found it quite challenging trying to incorporate sleep into the routine. Alas, I still manage to reach the final destination, Sydney.



Sydney has slowly become the anti-Hong Kong (at least in my eyes). It's everything Hong Kong isn't: Good air quality, fresh produce, family, mortgages and an utterly dire transport system. Purpose of this month's trip is for my cousin Jennifer's wedding and of course mom's birthday. I'm not sure where my license has disappeared but not being able to drive in Sydney is kind of like being a Chinese in China that can't speak Chinese; super frustrating.



My itinerary for the following nine days: Saturday, drinks at the Glenmore with London folk. Sunday, fish markets with the family. Monday, renew my license, dad arrives, family dinner. Tuesday, dinner with the USYD group. Wednesday, Tea Ceremony. Thursday, hang out with High school group. Friday, drinks with after-work-crowd. Saturday, Wedding. Sunday, grocery shopping, mom's Birthday dinner and depart.



So my observations are as follows: Sydney is lovely, I miss this place. The Sydney Property market is KER-RAZY! I love Coles Broadway. Fresh donuts are still the best. I feel so unhealthy. Get me back to Hong Kong.



No comments: