Saturday 9 February 2013

Musings of the Dog

If you're somebody who subscribes to the Chinese Zodiac, you would know that being a Dog in the year of the (Water) Snake is best described as "unlucky". Me, being a Dog I can't help but muse back on the year to date. I can think of a handful of moments that from a certain perspective can being considered "unlucky". The instances that instantly come to mind are: The death of our family dog, turning 30 and leaving the innocence and immaturity of the twenties behind and of course, my redundancy.

I don't really see the coming of age and the proverbial career-reset button having to do with bad luck, but almost a rite of passage. Which makes me wonder, if that was indeed my "bad year". What does 2013 have installed for me? Will I still be in Hong Kong? Still unemployed? Still single? Still healthy? Still working in Finance? Still blogging?

I don't consider myself superstitious. Despite this, I've managed to clean the apartment and wash my hair before midnight - why tempt fate? So here I am. Saturday evening 11:59 pm. The penultimate minute of the Chinese Year, I sit here re-watching The Wire. Suffice to say, unless there's a power outage in the next 50-odd seconds, I expect a very satisfying start to the new year.


No comments: