Tuesday 4 December 2012

Redundancy

Surreal, yet so vivid. That's how I would go about describing my last day of work. I remember coming into the office just before 8 am. At the time it felt like any other ordinary day, it was early, so majority of the office were still making their way out of bed or mid-commute. I logged onto my PC and opened Outlook looking through my inbox while I prepared my usual breakfast at my desk: Oatmeal.

I scanned my email and noticed a new message, with subject "Last day". It was sent from a personal email address from a colleague in Sydney not 2 hours earlier. As I read the email, I was tapped on the shoulder. It was my Managing Director. "Can I speak with you in the boardroom?". I grabbed my pen and pad and entered the boardroom only to find the COO and HR already seated. At that moment, I knew something was up to which I said "This looks ominous".

The rest, is history. Bid farewell to my colleagues and was home before 9 am. First thing that I did was call up all my friends who had been recently made redundant. My mind was racing through all the options and contingents. The aftermath of the global cuts, saw our team reduced by 50%, with other key personnel being cut along the way.

"Today is going to be the day, that they're going to throw it back to you" - Oasis

No comments: