Monday 27 September 2010

London Rat Race!

What are you doing tomorrow from 3pm to around 7pm? There’s this challenge race that’s on and my friend is looking for a team member – would you be keen?


So I agreed. Come 2 pm Saturday I found myself surrounded by hundreds of competitors who were about to embark on London's Mean Street Rat Race. The rules are as follows. Each team is a series of challenges that must be completed within a certain amount of time. A map and a list of clues are given to each team one hour before the start of the race where you have to decide which route and which tasks you can complete. Failing to get to the finish line by 19:30 would result in a penalty.



So for the next 2 and half hours we ran around London. We decided to take the route down from Tower Bridge, down to the Bermondsey Tank, Imperial War Museum, up through Waterloo and through the streets of Soho, up to Farringdon, via Monument. We sung, danced, played pool, foozeball, climbed, jumped our way through the challenges. We must have covered at least 15 miles in the 150 minutes. Both my quads cramped up and my legs and body feel absolutely ruined. Don't think I've had quite so much fun in some time and managed to see so much of London. Placed 25th out of 125 teams! Not bad for a last minute call up.


"I'm coming out of my cage and I've been doing just fine" - The Killers, Mr Brightside

No comments: