Monday 12 July 2010

Oxegen

Around this time last year we found ourselves among the frenzy also known as San Fermin, The Running of the Bulls. At the time, I never in my wildest dreams imagined to find a better combination of filthiness and fun. So, almost a year down the track I find myself covered in mud again longing for a hot shower with a smile from ear to ear.


I've become somewhat jaded in my approach to sight seeing. Gone are the days of wanting to see and experience each and every cultural offering of the country. Obscure churches and random squares no longer interest me. Not to say that I have become a slave to traveling the globe without absorbing culture. I'm not shallow enough to say that content is found with a passport full of stamps and to be able to chime in with a "I've been to that country". On the contrary, I'm still taking enough away from each country to leave a lingering feeling.


Take for example, my recent trip to Dublin. I, experienced Irish weather, spotted a leprechaun, asked a local to repeat themselves because of the Irish accent and got drunk in the mud. OK the last one really isn't Irish, but was still fun!


A familiar face, a familiar smile, an unfamiliar relationship.

No comments: