Wednesday 22 July 2009

Masterchef

"Do you cook often?"

Yes I do. It should be noted that my culinary gamut consists of 3 staples: the durable stir fry, odd curry and trusty pasta. Occasionally the weekend inspires me to research a recipe and cook something up; for the most part I'm rarely bothered. Produce doesn't keep so well here with vegetables having a shelf life of a couple of days and majority of my meat being kept in the freezer. The chore of having to cook for one person and manage ingredients proves more troublesome and more often than not I find myself in a Chinatown or Soho eating out.

My latest kitchen adventure was inspired by a fellow country man, or in this case woman. Most conversations with Malaysians often converge onto the topic of food. Soon enough we were exchanging our favourite dishes and desserts from back home. Strangely enough, the topic of Fried Dace with Black Beans came up and I was pleased to find that we weren't the only family to enjoy seafood from a can. After much excitement it was suggested that I try the following recipe. The description screams Frankenstein meal but this stomach-churning description left me in a curious state. It sounded so disgusting it had to be nice.

Fried Dace and Black Bean Pasta Recipe


Serves 1

Ingredients:
1/2 onion
1 Glove of Garlic
1 Chunk of Ginger
1/2 tin of Fried Dace in Black bean
Spring Onions for garnish
100 grams of pasta/spaghetti
1 tablespoon of Oyster Sauce
1 tablespoon of Dark Soy
Splash of Fish oil
Pepper


Method:
1. Boil the pasta until cooked. Drain.
2. Chop vegetables
3. Throw everything into a pan. Fry.
4. Enjoy*


* This is optional.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

GREAT JOB D-Rock! You are one step closer to becoming a REAL MALAY! HAHA now if only you could speak the language.

Hope you enjoyed it ... this dish reminds me so much of my mum. I'm going to forward her this blog to show her that i'm spreading the her good work.

Now next on the cooking adventures ... congee with brovil.

Fellow Malaysian