Saturday 19 April 2008

So it finally happened...

Ever stood at the bagage claim section of the airport and wondered "What if my luggage doesn't arrive?". The doubt initially sets in when a similiar looking peice of luggage remains on the conveyor belt, each time passing you, fooling you for that brief moment. Slowly but surely the crowd thins out, people retrieve their items and still that cousin of a suitcase goes around. You begin to wonder "I hope nobody has taken my luggage in mistake of theirs". Then somebody claims that imposter of a suitcase. Only then you realise that your luggage in fact is not coming.

So here I am, in Rio De Janeiro luggage-less and sitting in an empty dorm room. My suitcase is currently stuck in Miami and won't be arriving until tomorrow afternoon, which wouldn't be so bad except that the other volunteer workers have arranged a road trip away for the Brazilian long weekend. I managed to duck down to the local markets and purchase some essentials, jocks, tshirts, and shorts and of course necessary toilettries.


Arrived at Baron Garden House in Rio De Janeiro and despite the hold up inside the airport I was greeted by the Brazilian Representative for i-to-i. He took me on a short drive in his 25 year old VW Beatle and within 40 minutes I was at the volunteer lodging a loft a mountain in the suburb of Glória.

No comments: